Monday, October 10, 2011

ROAD TORTURE

Oct 9th-Rode 53 miles! Crossed 1600' mountain peak over the Shenandoah, Appalachian  and Alleghany mountains.  The roads are packed with "Leaf-Lookers".  Bad side road shoulders, but still looks like I'm riding through a postcard.

Slept under a bridge last night.  Today much less traffic; Although still beautiful country, the towns look like they never recovered from the crash of 1929.  Hmmm....

I thought the 1600 foot peak was high, until I pedaled up the highest road in Maryland...3,000 feet up!  (Cheat Mountain) Felt like 5 miles up and 5 miles down...actually it was!  Going up at 3mph, going down at 30mph!  Steep up and steep down.  Crossed into the same 3 states 6 times.  Had to take naps in the middle of the day to make it though.

I decided to quit the ride as I stayed under the bridge last night, but changed my mind this morning.  I don't know how to describe it...like going back in time; farms, mountains, huge trees, forests....truly amazing.

A chipmunk scurried out of the way as I sped down the shoulder, and scolded me as I rode by!

No comments:

Post a Comment