Thursday, October 6, 2011

Harrisburg PA

Rode 69 miles today, one flat.

   Big change in scenery, brown cornfields, stone barns and houses, very neat farms.  There were a lot of Amish or Menonnites, ladies with long dresses and bonnets, men all dressed the same with big beards. The road was pretty flat most of the day which is way I got so many miles (many for me).  The last ten miles west of Harrisburg started getting really steep.
   I gave out five of the SIRAD monitor packs, one to a Lebonon police officer.  The Martha's Vineyard Times article serves as instant identification.  In the past it was hard to explain who I was and what I was doing.  
   I was on the road by 7:30  this morning.  My tire patch held all day.  I think it's my first successful patch.   I get strange flash backs  now that I'm 60.  The feelings of first learning to ride a bicycle came back to me for a few moments today.  It's nice to simply be able to feel.  My experience with depression is not bad or dark feelings, it's mostly no feelings at all.  I don't know if this riding will delay or eliminate seasonal depression but I'll find out soon.
   A small fox was startled when I rode by it.  That was the first fox ever that I think I've seen in the wild.  I rode too many miles on expressways today and almost got lost in the spaghetti.   For the next week at least I should be off the expressways.  I'm starting to nod off as I write this.

No comments:

Post a Comment