Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Bad day in Blackrock

November 7,  Watonga OK
     Rode 61 miles, met with Guthrie police department and Kingfisher County Sheriff Dept.  Light showers, bike skidded off slippery road.  I hit soft ground and rolled so was not hurt.  Tornado warnings, sky looked dangerous.  I quit riding before the clouds poured rain.
   Had I not altered my route I would have been in the path of tornadoes and golf ball-size hail.  Sun came out about 2pm.   I was exhausted and took a nap in my hammock by the roadside.  It was warm except when the showers came.
    I eat a lot but it's still not enough. My gut is gone.  Riding curbs appetite.

November 8,  Clinton OK
    Rode 56 miles.  Met with Thomas police chief Buck Jones, Custer town clerk for fire department,  Emergency Management Director for Custer County, Clinton fire chief and battalion chief.
   They all seemed like exceptionally good meetings.  Either people are more interested in these parts or my presentation is getting better.  The Custer County Emergency Manager said he was interested in getting all of Oklahoma equipped with the rad monitors.
   This was the first day it was very cold.  I could see my breath.  It feels like winter here tonight.  I'm not getting south fast enough.   I'm altering my route so I get pushed by the wind rather than fight it.  When the wind blows from the south or east I ride west.  When it blows from the north or northwest I ride south.   I can't ride into a wind that is 20-30 mph gusting 40 but I can ride perpendicular to it.

   I hope my x-country ride can get a buzz going in the country about the new SIRAD monitoring technology and the 60-second nuclear training.    First responder leadership seems more open to being prepared for nuclear than they used to be.  The old attitude was "it's all over" if a nuke goes off.  Now they are aware of the possibility of nuclear terrorism and generally want to know more.

   Police chiefs, fire chief and sheriffs don't need to spend time training for nuclear they are already trained to handle disasters.  They only need to think about what they would do for nuclear and they can do that in the shower or while driving.  While the 60-Second training cards could get their departments through a nuclear event, it would be more effective if the first responders were also equipped with the SIRAD monitors.

   Because production is not sufficient to equip 2 million first responders in a timely way now it would be enough for even 10% or 20% of a department  to be carrying the monitors.  Even one monitor to a department would go a long way towards preventing panic in the jurisdiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment